Gretchen Ennis Photography

Gretchen Ennis Photography

Friday, December 20, 2013

Things I've learned while being away at college.

In light of finals week, I thought I'd share a couple of things I've learned about life while being away from home and completing my first semester of college.

1.) God will place you where ever he feels you could best utilize the talents He has given you. Throughout my journey in choosing a college, I depended on the Lord to help me decide where I was supposed to be. I couldn't be more thrilled that he placed me here at Bethel University. I can't imagine spending the next four years of my life anywhere else.

2.) Grades do not define who you are as a person. One bad grade on an assignment or test does not make me any less of a person. I'm thankful for professors who remind me of that everyday.

3.) The friends you meet in college are the friends you will have your entire life. I never believed people when they tried to tell me this is high school, but it's so true. I've met some pretty incredible people while here at Bethel. I'm blessed to have awesome girls on my floor who I get along with so well.

4.) Volunteering each week makes you a better person. Plus it's an awesome study break! I've been volunteering at Young Life, which is a Christian youth mentoring program, since school started and although there have been weeks where I feel like I don't want to go because I have too much homework or I don't feel like it, I do anyways and I never regret it.

5.) Coffee becomes one of your friends. And it's perfectly acceptable to drink it at any time of the day.

6.) It may seem like a really great thing to be an adult and live away from home, but it's hard. You learn to appreciate being at home with your family with home-cooked meals and your own bed.

7.) It's perfectly normal to nap at any time of the day. Even if it's at 10pm at night.

8.) Being an active presence at college is important. Merely being a student and going back to your room is not enough. I've learned to go to as many football games, school dances, events, town-hall meetings, and school-sponsored festivals that I can possibly do. It makes me feel more connected to the Bethel-community.

9.) Making time for yourself is essential. It's easy to get caught up in school work and your social life, but you have to make time for yourself to better your emotional and physical health.

10.) Things like dusting, vacuuming, doing laundry, and washing dishes become a means for procrastination.

11.) Pray about everything

12.) Look at everything as a blessing.

13.) Don't study too much. It's okay to enjoy a night of no studying!

Merry Christmas!
Bailey
Miss Brainerd Lakes 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment